Friday, March 28, 2008

Finer Things Club: Hill Street Blues

I haven't made much progress through the home videos lately, so those forgotten and potentially embarrassing clips will have to wait a bit longer.
Instead, I've been trying to track down some old movies that I watched as a kid, so our kids could enjoy them too. Among the ones I have found so far: Short Circuit, Flight of the Navigator, Benji, Herbie, Goonies, Pete's Dragon, and Bed-knobs and Broomsticks. I was pleased to see that Batteries Not Included and (especially) The Boy Who Could Fly, are just as good today as they were when I first saw them (maybe even better). But it came as a total shock to realize that Airwolf, the show that I have grown up regarding as the coolest thing ever in the history of the world, is actually kind of dumb. I really wasn't prepared for that...

During this search, I came across an episode of the old TV series Hill Street Blues and I was blown away by how realistic, or at least "familiar" it seemed. I know that my dad watched the show when I was a kid, but I never gave it a second thought - I guess I am now looking at it from a new perspective. Here is a short clip that shows the camaraderie and hijinx of a start-of-shift Parade (or as they call it, Roll Call):




The police in that show actually look and talk like real cops. I couldn't help but compare it to modern police shows where the officers all look and dress like models, speak in dramatic monologues that are carefully scripted to properly convey their coolness, and sashay through ultra modern offices with floor-to-ceiling glass walls and subdued, flattering lighting. The lab where CSI works looks like a cross between NASA and the Bat Cave. A real-life crime scenes lab looks like a cross between the science lab in your high school, and the janitor's closet in your high school. In real life, it takes almost six months to get DNA results back. There is no "main character" who photographs the scene, then conducts surveillance, then leads the tactical unit through the badguy's front door, and finishes off by doing the interview and getting the confession.

I realize that the details I am criticizing have been added to make these shows more appealing; however, in my opinion, they actually make the shows less appealing. I have never seen any character as wierd or interesting as the real people. The actual situations are funnier than the TV ones. And although I still have yet to see so much as a single car explode, the real-life calls are even more exciting than the Hollywood portrayals.

But if I had to recommend something for Finer Things Club members, I would say that Hill Street Blues comes closest to the real deal. I just wonder why the most realistic police show I've ever seen, happens to be more than 25 years old...


- C

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I want: 1; the flight of the navigator 2; short circut and 3: Batteries not included. Awe I remember all those so well. A triple set would make the perfect birthday gift...(for me that is). Wait a minute, is that illegal to do? If so-don't worry about it...or just don't tell anyone about it.

If I could add to your collection for your kids I'd add the Fragels, Gremlins (ok maybe not for your kids) and ET. Make sure you watch the latter while eating Reeses Peices.

Anonymous said...

Cool post Chad. I totally remember that music so Dad must have watched that show often. As for life as a real cop... are you telling me that CSI really isn't real? Man, thanks for shattering that for me. Do you also find joy in telling little children the truth about Santa and the Easter bunny. As for your comment about cops in shows being pretty models.. well, don't worry. Seriously with your nose... you'd totally pass as the real deal. "All the better to sniff out danger".... right?!!!!!

CHEMTD said...

AAARRRGH I'm so glad I didn't say anything nice about you this week

Anonymous said...

Chad, I'm shocked that you'd misconstrude this as anything but a compliment! Seriously, don't fight the fact that you almost made it as a male model!!! Remember, Mode Models, the Mall, back in 1999!! Don't make me hunt down THAT clip!!! Crystal, feel free to back me up here!

CHEMTD said...

Male model?

Oh wait,it's April Fools today. Haha good one Jewel.

Hays Family Blog said...

Chad this is really disappointing. I have always pictured you at a crime scene, putting your sun glasses on and then saying some really awesome line while music from THE WHO starts to play. Thanks for ruining my reality!

CHEMTD said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA. That's so awesome Josh.


... I just might start doing that though.