Friday, September 4, 2009

Restaurant Review: Rocky's Burger Bus



The truth is, I have been driving past this "restaurant" for years. It is located at 120 46th Ave. SE, Calgary, directly East of Blackfoot Motorsports. If you ever went for a walk to kill time while the motorcycle shop speed-charged a new battery for your 1975 Honda that had died and left you stranded (and your wife didn't want to drive in and get you), chances are, you'd walk right into this place.

Despite knowing it was there, I never felt the urge to eat there; I guess I didn't think that a hamburger served out of a decommissioned 1960's Transit Bus would be that good. At least that was until I read a sagely comment from restaurant reviewer Micheal Stern who wrote, "As a general rule, restaurants housed in broken-down buses are superb." This insight led to what I believe is known as a paradigm shift.

One rainy afternoon our family found ourselves in Calgary with rumbly tummies. This usually leads to a long debate over whether we should use the opportunity to try a new restaurant or visit one of our old favorites. The debate itself makes us even more hungry and on one occasion was interrupted by Mason calling out, "I'm dying" (either he really believed it or he just knew it would get our attention). On this particular day, Rocky's won out due to its fortunate proximity to a store full of motorcycles - and I am very glad I did.

I stepped up to the window behind where the driver would sit and ordered two combos with fries and pop and an extra order of fries (we never even touched the extra fries). I also ordered a side gravy because I had read that the gravy they made from the beef drippings was the best you could buy. Then when my number was called I collected my order from a window further back near where the cool kids would have sat.

The fries were steak cut and freshly made. They were cooked perfectly and would have been quite delicious on their own but of course we had to dip them in the gravy that was every bit as good as the hype. There were enough fries between our $8 combos to feed the whole family.




My photo of the burger doesn't convey just how big it is. I would say probably a 1/3 of a lb. They are hand formed and are cooked to perfection, a little bit crunchy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside. We have a longstanding tradition in our family where I will eat my hamburger and then finish the leftover portion of Heather's. I believe that traditions are very important, and every effort should be made to continue them - but this time, I almost couldn't do it.




As far as burgers go, this place is at the top of my list. It might not be as good as the one I had at Ruby's Diner when we were at Newport Beach last year - but on the other hand, the Ruby's was dolled up more and had the cool ambiance of being at the end of a pier. It's tough to judge if it was the burger or the romance. I feel like I should also mention Fatburger in Heritage Meadows - a very good hamburger for a 'chain restaurant'; however, also a bit pricey.

Peter's Drive In on 16th may be one of the best known burger joints in Calgary, and I have fond memories of the many times I've been there: late nights after youth dances at the 17th Ave chapel (Peter used to keep it open for the Mormon kids), or picnics at the benches as a family. I may go back to Peter's sometime - but it would only be for sentimental reasons, definitely not for their pressed, processed patties or soggy fries. Even shakes - a Fatburger shake will kill a Peter's milkshake (they are more expensive but come topped with whip cream; the Chocolate tastes like it may contain a powerfully addictive drug, and the Strawberry is made with real strawberries).

The only reason I mention these other restaurants is so that you'll know where I'm coming from when I say, the next time we find ourselves in Calgary with tummies rumbling for hamburgers - Rocky's forestalls the need for any further debate.





- C

1 comment:

Lorin said...

Broken down bus burgers right across from the biggest bike shop in Calgary! I'm so there next time I'm in town.

I can see where Mr. Stern is coming from. If the setting is just barely hanging on to the bottom of the "so old and junky it's cool" category and quite ready to fall into the "genuinely crappy thus I'm so not going in there" category, and the place is still in business then the food must be great.

The food does look really good! Thanks for the introduction!