
In our last post I talked about the great time we had on Saturday. Now that there's snow on the ground again, the memory of loved ones enjoying a motorcycle in the sunshine is even more cherished. If that memory had any flaw, it would probably be Ella's first run on a stretch of private road after a morning of field-riding (post slurpee break).
Ella (often) and Mason (almost always) would tip the bike over on its side when coming to a stop. This meant that us parents had to be there to pick the bike up and get it started again. I had gotten pretty tired of constantly runing after them (especially after a slurpee), so I came up with the idea of positioning ourselves on either end of the road and sending the kids back and forth between us. Heather took the van to the North and I hung out on a lawnchair at the South end.
I had just gotten Ella on her way when I noticed that Heather was standing off the road, in front of the corner of the van. Ella obviously noticed this too because as she drew closer, she drifted off the road and headed directly for her mom. It looked like she hit the van and fell over, and I wondered if I'd heard a faint "thump" in the distance. As Heather got the bike back up, I managed to convince myself, "no she didn't actually hit it, she just got close". But after Ella started back towards me and I saw Heather go and look at the corner of the van, that thought changed to, "no, she definitely hit the van."
Ella probably wanted to make a break for the open road and keep going, rather than stop where I was waiting for her. I was mad at first but thankfully I wasn't too much of an idiot about it, and soon we were joking about Ella's first car crash. During pizza at the end of the day, someone would bring up, "hey do you remember when Ella hit the van?" And everyone would have a good laugh. Since then, Ella has talked about how good she did at riding and I always agree and say something like, "ya, you did awesome... except for that part when you hit the van". "Ya, except for that", she always agrees.
I think this story is probably worth more than whatever the damage cost. I have my own story: I was 13 and I went up to the barn to get dad's Camaro for him. I didn't really know how to drive a standard at that point so I kept stalling it. Finally, I revved the heck out of the engine and popped the clutch. The front wheels were turned a little and the car launched backwards in a reverse arc that clipped the barn door with the front driver-side fender. It would have looked totally awesome if I hadn't hit the door; but in my opinion, the story is still worth more than whatever the damage cost (not sure if dad ever came to share that opinion though).
Dad gave me my first motorcyle when I was 14. And Mason got his first motorcycle at age 6. I had my first and only accident (unless you count the ones at work, but I don't think they count) when I was 13. And now Ella has had her first (and hopefully last?) collision at the age of 8!
It seems like kids these days are developing at a much faster pace, doesn't it?

- C
4 comments:
Kids do seem to be advancing at a quicker rate then their parents. Perhaps it is the steriods in the milk.
Or perhaps Ella is just a child prodigy. At any rate - If I were you I wouldn't let her shoot a gun. I recall a teenage expreience you once had.
Hahah point taken Tan.
- C
You should have just warned Ella that a cute little Yamaha will instinctively always try and take on a big bad Honda so she should steer well clear of them.
That's such a funny story. I'm glad everyone is laughing about it. Sweet picture. Ella, you are too dang cute! Both Ella and Heather got haircuts? Seriously SO CUTE. I love it!!!!!!!
Post a Comment