Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Weekend at the The Sanctuary



Yesterday we returned from visiting JC&CO. at their new home. The name I gave it is partly due to the peaceful idyllic setting, and partly due to the unstated-but-implied "protected" status enjoyed by the birds on the property.

Almost as soon as we got there the kids started climbing trees.



Naturally it was Mason, who's Ninja Aptitude scores are the highest we've ever tested, that set the record with this three-story climb. Around this time we began questioning where exactly the nearest hospital was.



The most memorable event had to be the giant water fight involving the adults and all of the kids (except Deacon, he's probably still at the point where an icecream bucket of water over the head symbolizes the end of personal security and predictability in the world, more than it symbolizes a fun time). There are no photos because I didn't want to risk my camera to Chaim or Oscar's reckless use of a supersoaker, but I wish I had a picture of when Jeremy advanced on Tyson with a bucket of cold water, asking ominously, "how would you like to get wet?" To everyone's surprise Tyson, armed only with a small water pistol, shouted back, "how would YOU like to get wet?" and charged Jeremy, chasing him away.

The camera ventured out during supper and managed to get this shot of the steaks Jeremy cooked.



As if 6 acres of forest, dugout, field, and raspberry bushes weren't enough to keep the kids busy, I picked up a pellet gun for Mason on our way out of town. After going over the Cardinal Rules for safe gun handling, he took to it with his hallmark, sober intensity. Soon he was proficient at hitting the silhouette targets that came included.



As much as Mason enjoyed plinking away, I would estimate that Jeremy and I shot even more of the 250 expended pellets than he did. And I admit that when Crystal wasn't looking I even took some shots at a few of The Sanctuary's feathered residents... but don't worry, I didn't hit any of them.

Another luxury of an acreage like this is that we could park the Yamaha just outside the front door so it was ready for a lap around the circuit at a moment's notice. That sure beats our usual routine of driving for an hour just to get to a place where we can ride it.



Ella loved picking raspberries from the "thicket" behind the shop and Heather enjoyed sitting on the front porch and relaxing in the peace and quiet. Yes - between the yelling of children, motorcycle exhaust notes, and sound of riflefire - there were some nice quiet moments too.

Thanks Paynes

- C

1 comment:

Jewel said...

I love that shot of Ella. Looks like a fun time...and an awesome place!! Nice work Mason on being the youngest gun owner I know!!!