Without any plans today, we all slept in and recovered a bit from yesterday's activities. I left the hotel room a little before 10:00am to get some breakfast to bring back.
After breakfast I arranged a massage, manicure, and pedicure for Heather and Ella, while the boys and I went swimming.
To stop you from feeling like Heather is having an easy time of it, here is a shot of her doing laundry in our sink. With only one backpack per person, there is laundry every day (and it piled up a bit over mother's day/our anniversary).
Maybe I should tell her about these places I keep seeing...
We went out again to our favorite restaurant.
But even though we were so stuffed, curiosity pulled us into the McDonald's we keep going past. It was weird to see Ronald wai'ing but the inside of the restaurant looked just like what we see back home. I couldn't see any mention of it on the menu, but a few cusomers were eating rice with stirfry off of McDonald's plates. I will look into that a little more another day. There was one item that we had to buy and that was their "triple cheeseburger". I have special ordered McTriples back home, but it was surprising to see it as a normal item here. We got two to share, and it tasted so good!
While walking around, we met the promoter of a Thai kickboxing fight that was happening later in the evening. None of us have ever seen a muay thai fight and we decided to go check it out. To get to the ring, we had to walk down an isle lined with various bars, and around the perimeter of the seating area were more bars. It was probably the most seedy place Heather and the kids have ever been. We got there early and got some excellent seats and got a couple treats from people coming around selling stuff.
It was really cool to see the ceremony involved with the fights and how polite the fighters were. We watched a number of different matches between youth, female fighters, and even a comedy intermission with three fighters in the ring all wearing blindfolds. It was fun to cheer on our favorites and the most exciting was when the fighter we chose in the main event, knocked out his opponent. He gave the kids hi-fives as he left the ring, and then a short time later, a lady approached us and asked if the kids wanted a photo with him. It was a fun way to see that part of the Thai culture, and it was a surprisingly family-friendly event - if you don't count that everyone around us was smoking... and the "ladyboy bar" behind us.
- C












No comments:
Post a Comment