First of all, I need to tell you some background. In June of 1997 I was standing on the platform at the train station
across the street from Bangkok's Don
Mueang International Airport. This station was a hub for us missionaries travelling to and from the
mission office and the various areas of the mission. Those of us who had received a phone call at 'moves time' would arrive at the mission office, have a brief meeting, then head out to this train station with our new companion and a supply of materials to deliver to our new area. We started out as a fairly large group, but as each train came and went, the group got smaller and smaller, as did the mountain of scriptures wrapped in brown paper. It was getting late in the day and my Thai companion and I were the last ones left. I was trying to arrange our supplies into an organized pile so that when the train stopped, we would be able to throw our supplies, then our luggage, then ourselves onto the train before it took off again. As I was doing this I looked up and saw a man walking down the platform. He was a foreigner, like me, but I could not place his nationality. He was
Caucasian but his skin had a deep tan that suggested he spent a lot of time in the sun. He walked with a jaunty stride and wasn't wearing anything on his feet. His hair was matted and his clothing was ragged but he held onto a canvas sack like it was the most valuable thing in the world. I tried to start up a conversation with him but he kept looking from side to side as though he was worried he was being followed. He interrupted and said "traveller friend, I can't see the sky for all this dust in the air. In which direction lay the harbour?" I wasn't sure exactly where he meant but I pointed to the South and he nodded "aye,
shoulda trusted my nose". He said goodbye and started to leave. He seemed like a neat person and I could tell that he probably had some interesting stories so before he left I gave him my card with the mission office address and encouraged him to write me.
And that was it, at least it was until this afternoon when Heather checked the mail and found the following letter:


I wasn't even sure it's the same person I met at the train station - he didn't tell me his name at the time; but when I looked at the address on the letter, I saw that it had originally been sent to the Thailand Bangkok Mission Office then forwarded to our old Claresholm address. From there it looks like it was forwarded to the house that I lived at in Edmonton when going to college, and then to the townhouse where Heather and I lived after first being married. From there it was forwarded to an apartment building we managed in Calgary and finally here to our current address. I cannot believe that the letter found me after all of that - even more incredible is the return address that was stamped on the envelope when it was first mailed:
Cpt. Raynaldo
12 Leagues South South West of
Bobbin's Haven Island
Bird Sanctuary
The whole thing seems so strange... I don't know what to make of it. I would think that someone is playing a trick on me, except I have never before told anyone about my meeting with the stranger on the train platform. I sat down and wrote a quick reply, telling him about our adventures. Who knows, my letter may even find its way to him just as his did to me and we might hear from him again...
- C
8 comments:
That is an icredable story!! Thanks for sharing!!
Chad,
I don't believe it. A Thath out of ear wax. He'd have to be stranded for TWENTY years just to have enough wax. Hmmmm.
I love Ella's talk. Seriously, so cute. Her I believe.
Tanis
Wow, uh--the Jade Bobbin--is it endemic to that area?
Great talk ella, I think I will say my prayers tonight--you've convinced me.
Thanks Dawn, I'm glad you liked it!
I don't know what to think Tan, eight years is a long time...
and don't forget that he had TWO ears.
Crystal, I haven't been able to find reference to a Jade Bobbin anywhere. Sounds rare.
I'll read your messages to Ella in the morning, she'll be thrilled.
- C
Yes Chad, eight years is a long time, and still amazing that he survived. Yet...the whole ear wax thing has me stumped. I'm thinking that man was likely dehydrated what with him being surrounded by saltwater only. Wouldn't there be less wax build up for him then say the average healthy, hydrated person. I suppose that is how he finally fixed his ship as well. ...with ear wax?
Oh right... he didn't really mention what he did for drinking water huh?
Maybe I should ask him next time I write.
_ Chad
What's next Chad??? Hmmm! On a scale from 1-10...that's about a 8 on the scale of pretty absurd things to conjure up. How long did that one take ya?
You've been tagged. Check out my blog to find out more.
Sorry:)))
Post a Comment