
I just wanted to take a second and wish everyone a happy mother's day. I don't say it often enough but I know that the work you mother's do in your homes is the most important work that a person could ever do. Unfortunately, the fame goes to rock stars and sports personalities instead of the people who are really making a difference.When Heather was pregnant she used to worry - a lot - about whether or not she would be a good mother. I was sure that she would, but now I think that the worrying is part of the reason why.
I will always remember the time that Heather spent in the hospital on bed rest with Ella. I tried to spend as much time there as I could, but I felt like I was going stir-crazy after just a few hours. The women she shared her room with had the same condition and the same restrictions, but they would hardly stay put until their next cigarette break. For three months Heather lay on her back, getting up only to use the bathroom - and she did it so the baby could make it as close to term as possible and have the greatest chance at being healthy. It made a powerful impression on me to see that she could sacrifice so much for a child she hadn't even met yet. I realized then that she was in a whole other league of mothers. She was the sort of mother that mine had been.
A few quotes to end with:
Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother. - Lin Yutang
I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life. - Abraham Lincoln
The commonest fallacy among women is that simply having children makes them a mother--which is as absurd as believing that having a piano makes one a musician. - Sidney J. Harris

- C
1 comment:
Holy Cow that was a sweet post. The pics of Heather are AWESOME!!! Really that shadow one is nice. She really is a great mom:))
Tanis
Post a Comment