Last week Heather and the kids went down to visit grandpa and grandma, it sounds like they had a lot of fun and the kids came back a little less behaved, a sure sign of being spoiled. Heather will have to blog about their visit if she wants, because I wasn't there - instead I went on a motorcycle trip with Trevor...
.jpg)
This was supposed to be a motorcycle "camping" trip and we brought our Hennesy hammocks to hang between trees like we did last year. However, a friend and coworker offered for me to use her cabin in Nakusp, BC.
We left late in the day last Thursday and pushed all the way to Nakusp (about 700kms or so). It was dark by the time we made the last leg of our trip and we were concerned about wildlife jumping out on the road. The cabin was in the middle of dense forest, had an unfinished exterior, and the top floor didn't even have windows. It wasn't looking good for us until we checked the main floor and found it was developed and had appliances and running water.
.jpg)

We just hung around the area for the next couple of days. Our trip happened to coincide with the Nakusp Music Festival, which for them seems to be a pretty big deal - the 11th largest in the world according to a guy we talked to while watching a helicopter drop buckets of water on a house fire. I doubt the accuracy of that claim, but it was true that the population of the town had tripled at least. I have never seen so many hippies in my life.
.jpg)
One day we took the trip from New Denver to Kaslo on highway 31A, a ride recommended by the cabin owner (who is also a motorcyclist). We took a quick detour to the ghost town of Sandon. It was a neat place and has a fascinating history, it probably deserves a blog entry all its own. While we were there, we talked with a couple of BMW riders who had just made the trip. They had a fevered look in their eyes and one guy said, "I envy what you are about to experience, this is probably the best motorcycle ride in Canada". I am inclined to agree with the accuracy of that claim. I didn't get any photos because it took all my concentration just to keep up with the twists and turns and at one point, only moments after deciding to slow down, a deer ran right across my path and disappeared into the trees. Yikes, that was a close one.
There were a couple other close calls too: one evening, we rode though a small rock slide of shale that dislodged a couple large rocks that would have taken out a motorcycle had they hit us. It's funny because earlier that day I had seen a few of those "falling rock" signs and was thinking to myself about how I had never actually seen that happen. Also, one night we were turning down the road to the cabin when I noticed a pair of headlights make the turn behind Trevor. For some reason I didn't want the people in that car to know where we were staying so I drove past the cabin's driveway, hoping that Trevor would follow me. We turned at the next intersection and as the vehicle went past, the front passenger yelled something at us (there were people in the back too). Trevor pulled alongside and told me that when he saw them make the turn behind him, he was hoping that I would drive past the cabin too. Who knows?
Anyways, I found a video of highway 31A. It shows what the road and scenery were like but unfortunately the guy that filmed it went a little overboard with his video editing tools:
One evening we were headed up to the Nakusp hot springs when we passed an old-school motor home that was only travelling 40km/h up the hill. Shortly after passing him, we came upon a moose standing at the side of the road. It got spooked when it saw us and started running back and forth - turning suddenly like one of those barrel racing horses. We stopped and watched as it trotted down the middle of the road towards us - it was as big as a horse too. We started moving again when the motor home came into view but the driver caught up to us at the hot springs and struck up a conversation. He was an older guy and he started talking to us about mooses and ended up telling us about failed marriages and his children whom he hasn't talked to for three years. He told us that he just pulls over anywhere and sleeps in his motor home and that he had made the decision to just "live between the cracks". The hot springs were home to a flock of hummingbirds that flitted from poolside feeders. The guy told us that he had heard that hummingbirds migrate by riding on the backs of geese as they fly South. I wanted to believe the accuracy of that claim, because it would make for a neat story. Unfortunately a later Internet search revealed that hummingbirds fly under their own steam to California every year - and they make the trip alone.
.jpg)
The last day of the trip, we woke up early, locked up the cabin and headed to the ferry crossing. We stopped in Revelstoke for breakfast, Golden for a slurpee, and Banff for a gas-station pizza sub (I've always had penchant for them). We parted company at a weigh station outside Calgary (the scale told me that my bike and I weighed 340kg, 10kg more than when our trip began... that's weird that my bike would be gaining weight).
Anyways, the trip was a lot of fun and it was good to get home. Sure, Calgary looked kind of dull after all of the beautiful scenery we had travelled through... but at least we aren't up to our necks in hippies.
(OK, not really a moral to the story, but it'll do)

- C
6 comments:
Another cool bike trip Chad. Sounds like it was great time.
I like the shot of your BBQ, with TWO steaks each, awesome!
Hwy 31A looks very nice. I'll have to keep it in mind for a future ride. I agree the guy who made that video went a little overboard in his editing. The phrase "just because you can doesn't mean you should" somehow comes to mind.
As for the falling rock, although during my years of living and driving in the mountains I did actually see two significant instances of "falling rocks" I eventually came to realize that it's not so much the falling stuff you have to worry about. The chances of you just passing by when rocks are actually falling are tiny. It's the stuff that has already come down and is already lying in the road that you need to watch for. Hence the signs read "watch for fallen rock", not "falling rock". I had always thought those signs were somehow mistaken and should read "falling rock" but sometime in my thirties I realized that they had always been correct and meant just what they said.
Then there's your license plate Chad, interesting. You must have to know somebody who knows somebody to score a plate like that. I know of a few billion Chinese who would probably love to have that plate.(8 is a considered a lucky number in China as you probably know.)
Anyway, sorry for the extra long comment Chad, especially the part about the fallen rock signs. I just wanted to share my minor epiphany about the fallen/falling thing and it sort of got away from me.
Good point Lorin. The signs that I saw just showed a silhouette of rocks falling off of a cliff and didn't have any writing on them. But you are right, the fallen ones are the real threat, especially coming around a blind corner.
As for the licence plate - I confess that I did copy and paste some extra 8's into the picture. I mean, I am a fairly well-known Internet personality... and the motor vehicle branches are all privatized now. It wouldn't take very much for someone to track down the secret location of CHEMT's editorial office once they'd scored my registered owner info. I was going to just blur the plate but it made the photo look too unnatural.
I wish I had a plate like that though!
Oh and as for the two steaks - we got a deal buying them in a pack... so it made good financial sense.
The topic of the Word of Wisdom did come up while we were eating though.
- C
Ah, of course, good thinking, and much more interesting than just a blurring the plate out too.
Awesome pics Chad. Your bike trips look like so much fun.
Sounds like a fun trip! But watching that video, made me a bit motion sick! :)
Post a Comment